What are you reading now

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «What are you reading now?»

What are you reading now?

автор  сообщение

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июня 2011 г. 13:58  
I'd like to read Strugackie Brothers stories, but i trully need to learn by heart a lot of lections:/

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июня 2011 г. 17:41  
fantasy: "Malazan book of the Fallen" — Steven Erikson
science fiction: Greg Egan

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 22 июня 2011 г. 00:20  
Found a new Neil Gaiman "The Graveyard Book" which I must have bought some time ago — and totally forgot about it. So that was a nice surprise. Started reading — so far, I quite like it. A boy being raised by your friendly graveyard ghosts and a vampire — a lovely idea and has unlimited possibilities :-))) Some small details and hints remind of another favorite of mine — The Nightmare Before Christmas. A very nice balance of sad/funny/horrific/macabre and lyrical.
–––
Eramos pocos y parió la abuela

миротворец

Ссылка на сообщение 22 июня 2011 г. 00:38  
Aryan, there is something uniformity between Gaiman and Burton, the kind of storytelling and physical appearance both. Can you see it? 8-)
–––
Снорк усиленно соображал, дороже или дешевле стала тетрадь после того, как он исписал её...

миротворец

Ссылка на сообщение 22 июня 2011 г. 07:27  
Me readin' jes nuffin', me workin' :-)))
But I still hope I'll be through with my work before I die.
'After' is also an option if there's free access to books on the other side)
–––
Джон умрет, а я буду жить

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 22 июня 2011 г. 13:03  

цитата Фикс

Can you see it?
Actually I can. I loved the smile — it's always there even when the realities are quite macabre . There is a lot of similarities in fact, including the general interest in supernatural, graveyards, weird bizarre but otherwise charming personalities. The quirks they both see and describe, are rather similar too.

The person who did the cover and illustrations obviously see those too — they look a lot like Burton's straw-doll characters from The Nightmare and the Corpse Bride :-)))

I haven' read Gaiman a lot — only Stardust and now The Graveyard book (not sure but can not remember any more), but I am definitely going to now. That was a charming book.
–––

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 22 июня 2011 г. 15:33  

цитата Pickman

'After' is also an option if there's free access to books on the other side)

I used to say that when I die, I want to become a ghost in Barnes&Noble and just loiter there reading till the end of eternity :-)))
–––

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 23 июня 2011 г. 08:07  
Ian Banks, The algebraist
–––
"Some things are NOT FOREVER!"-
Похоронная контора братьев ДеБирсян

миротворец

Ссылка на сообщение 23 июня 2011 г. 08:12  

цитата Aryan

I used to say that when I die, I want to become a ghost in Barnes&Noble and just loiter there reading till the end of eternity
In this day and age it's easier to be a digital ghost, you'll have a much wider choice)
–––

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 23 июня 2011 г. 08:43  

цитата Aryan

a ghost in Barnes&Noble

цитата Pickman

it's easier to be a digital ghost

This is how they get that substances which actuate their nooks and other kindles to work... Oh, oh! Shaytan-devices.

миротворец

Ссылка на сообщение 23 июня 2011 г. 09:32  
Yeah, we finally know what a ghost in the machine actually means ;-)
–––

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 27 июня 2011 г. 10:15  
I've finished "Disgrace" by Coetzee — really deserves to spend time. Now I'm reading Clive James — "Unreliable Memoirs" — it's not as easy to read as the previous one, but James' book is quite funny.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 28 июня 2011 г. 18:53  
Started Hearne's "The Iron Druid". So far I quite like it. No muss no fuss — the hero is refreshingly free of sentiment, very much preoccupied with personl safety and firmly intends to live as long as possible. A whole enchilada of Celtic and other deitites, some (mostly female ones) rather interested in the hero — the central dispute is about an ancient magical sword (as if it could be anything else) but otherwise, the narrative is fresh and crisp. Lots of political plotting, intrigues and magical attacks — a nice pageturner. Not especially deep and would not stick in memory too long but good as a new series to know.
–––

гранд-мастер

Ссылка на сообщение 5 июля 2011 г. 17:51  
I am reading Firestarter by Stephen King. So far interesting enough, but sometimes harsh.
–––
Fide, gravitate, constantia

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 19 июля 2011 г. 23:40  
Currently — Neil Gaiman's American Gods — and thoroughly enjoying it. I think I am having a "Neil Gaiman period" (like Picasso's Blue one :-)))) — bought everything I could get my hands on and even bought a new copy of Stardust (could not find my old one and wanted to re-read, idiot me) :-)))
–––

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 20 июля 2011 г. 00:00  

цитата Aryan

ould not find my old one and wanted to re-read, idiot me)

It's not you, it's the book. I have three copies at home:-)

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 20 июля 2011 г. 01:01  

цитата Aleks_MacLeod

I have three copies at home

Why? I don't understand that...

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 20 июля 2011 г. 17:19  

цитата Aleks_MacLeod

I have three copies at home
I think I understand this — the book is great. Did you like the movie?
–––

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 20 июля 2011 г. 17:39  

цитата benommen

Why? I don't understand that...

First, I found this, then I thought I should have a good edition and bought this and then — saw THIS.

цитата Aryan

Did you like the movie?

Yep, I think the movie is great!

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 20 июля 2011 г. 17:46  
Aleks_MacLeod the last book is truly very good!
Страницы: 12345678    🔍 поиск

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «What are you reading now?»

Новое сообщение по теме «What are you reading now?»
Инструменты   

Внимание! Чтобы общаться на форуме, Вам нужно пройти авторизацию:

Авторизация

логин:
пароль:
регистрация | забыли пароль?

⇑ Наверх