What are you reading now

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «What are you reading now?»

What are you reading now?

автор  сообщение

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 22 августа 2013 г. 21:07  
"Merlin" by Robert Nye. It's scabrous and surprisingly touching, and I really like it. Perhaps, this book would reconcile me with Arthurian legends, after all.
And it is postmodern, Mr. Sapkowski was quite right about it.
–––
Утешила... Зар-раза...

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 4 ноября 2013 г. 21:42  
Copper and Dagger. Pretty good series and very unusual antogonist or anti-hero. And you can feel epicness of the story.

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 9 ноября 2013 г. 01:09  
Selected Studies in the Slavonic Pseudepigrapha (Studia in Veteris Testamenti Pseudepigrapha)
Andrei Orlov
;-)

гранд-мастер

Ссылка на сообщение 16 ноября 2013 г. 18:56  
"The Hobbit". And it's not as easy as i expected :-)))
–––
Белых крыльев давно за спиною нет (Канцлер Ги)

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 16 ноября 2013 г. 22:13  

цитата Брисоль

"The Hobbit". And it's not as easy as i expected

I have to read "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" for my paper. It's not so difficult as I've expected. It's strange!
–––
Предыдущая книга - "Hogfather" by Terry Pratchett
Сейчас читаю -

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 16 ноября 2013 г. 22:44  
This sort of disagreement is expected to arise for any number of people higher than just one. :-D
Actually, it is expected that a third reader now shows up to tell us the book is partially difficult to read but overall not THAT difficult. With his/her claim, all possible variants will be finally accounted for. 8-)

As for me... Now I'm relaxing a bit from apocalyptic novels of the last month ('First Activation', 'CyberStorm'). My entertainment at the moment is a nearly classic crime thriller on a maniac, 'The Poet' by Michael Connelly. I do recall I read it almost a decade ago already, but it is fun nevertheless. The novel is written well, and it hooks you up from the very first pages. It just feels real and convincing, I like it very much.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 17 ноября 2013 г. 06:22  

цитата Trend

it is expected that a third reader now shows up to tell us the book is partially difficult to read but overall not THAT difficult.

Nope, it's just a very NICE reading :-)))
–––
Eramos pocos y parió la abuela

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 19 ноября 2013 г. 11:21  

цитата PiterGirl

It's not so difficult as I've expected. It's strange!

Why do you think it must be difficult? Especially, The Hobbit? It is the tale for children and it is written in a simple way.

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 24 ноября 2013 г. 15:01  
I'm finishing to read "The Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zelazny, the 1st book was in Russian, then I skipped to English. I've discovered one interesting thing, what in Russian was translated as "Отражения", in English is called "Shadows".
From time to time I also read short stories by Dmitry Bilenkin, I like them.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 24 ноября 2013 г. 23:33  
Pinball-1973
–––
It's a Barnum and Bailey world,
Just as phony as it can be, But it wouldn't be make-believe If you believed in me.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 6 декабря 2013 г. 12:32  
I'm reading Leslie Stainton's "Lorca: a Dream of Life" biography, and I like it much more than one written by Ian Gibson. I can't even explain why, but Gibson's book almost always seem annoying to me. Even his biography of Salvador Dalí was awful. How is it even possible to write a boring book about him?
–––
My own story comes from all the stories I’ve heard.

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 6 декабря 2013 г. 13:26  
Terry Pratchett, "Men at Arms".

Some time ago I've read the "Night Watch" (in Russian) and it was almost good — the first Pratchett's book I've appreciated. Then I remembered that my daughter had another "guard" book, "Guards! Guards!", so I read it also (in Italian). It was not so bad, and I discovered it is the first of the guard-series. So I was curious about what had happened in the middle and I decided to try reading Pratchett in English. Fortunately it is not so difficult.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 6 декабря 2013 г. 23:17  

цитата esperanza-16

How is it even possible to write a boring book about him?

Probably same way it proved possible to write a boring book about Mae West :-D One Simon Loovish happened to have a rare talent — as Mark Twain aptly said "It is chloroform in print." :-)))
–––
Eramos pocos y parió la abuela

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 6 декабря 2013 г. 23:39  
Started second part of The Hunger Games, Catching Fire.

Love first part in English much more than the russian translation. Will see what would happen with the 2nd part.
–––
Верные слова не изящны... (Лао Цзы)

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 4 мая 2014 г. 20:05  
The Prague Cemetery
–––
It's a Barnum and Bailey world,
Just as phony as it can be, But it wouldn't be make-believe If you believed in me.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 3 декабря 2014 г. 23:50  
Now i almost finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, but i want something more interesting for me. Example, how reading Brandon Sanderson, what you think about his books and what i need expect from his english?

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 4 декабря 2014 г. 09:17  
Demetriy, Sanderson's language is quite easy. It's so easy that it may seem dull even after "Harry Potter".
–––
В воротах цирка застрял танк. Толпа подожгла бассейн. Львица оказалась кабаном.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 6 декабря 2014 г. 17:54  
mischmisch Thanks, i begin read Sanderson)

гранд-мастер

Ссылка на сообщение 19 февраля 2016 г. 12:51  
I've bought 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' and 'Through the Looking Glass' recently. It's a hardcover. Now I'm reading the introduction of eighty pages.

P. S. Excuse me for possible mistakes and my poor English.
–––
Настоящий фанат аниме должен сделать три вещи: затопить горы, пробурить небо и уехать в Москву.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 24 февраля 2016 г. 15:50  
The Best Of Isaac Asimov: 12 Superb Stories by the Master of Science Fiction.
Pretty hard for me, but I'll do it!
Страницы: 12345678    🔍 поиск

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «What are you reading now?»

Новое сообщение по теме «What are you reading now?»
Инструменты   

Внимание! Чтобы общаться на форуме, Вам нужно пройти авторизацию:

Авторизация

логин:
пароль:
регистрация | забыли пароль?

⇑ Наверх