How often do you read books ...

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «How often do you read books in English»

How often do you read books in English

Варианты ответов Мой голос

Внимание! Для голосования Вам нужно пройти авторизацию
 автор  сообщение

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 27 июня 2011 г. 13:46  
Орион I am not so sure that Harry Potter is the best read for somebody who is not already quite comfortable with the language. There is a lot of descriptions, not so many dialogues, even the realities are — by nature of the book — often "medieval". Something closer to current realities might be better for a starter.
–––
Eramos pocos y parió la abuela

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 28 июня 2011 г. 14:17  
Aryan Maybe so, but on the other hand if we talk about fantastic literature, the realities would anyway be either medieval, futuristic or scientistic)

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 28 июня 2011 г. 18:45  
Орион No doubt about that but still, scientific or even futuristic details might be easier for understanding than some medieval jargon — know that by experience. Once a friend of mine who tried reading a fantasy book in original asked me — in total bewilderment — why would a knight need a charger? :-)))
Naturally, she only knew the modern meaning of the word.
–––

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 28 июня 2011 г. 19:16  
I do not trust the result of this poll

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 29 июня 2011 г. 23:55  

цитата urchin1

I do not trust the result of this poll

Why? In detail, please...

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 30 июня 2011 г. 15:43  
When I have a choice I go for the English one)
–––
Сейчас читаю:
Сейчас смотрю: "Мерлин"

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 30 июня 2011 г. 16:17  

цитата

How often do you read books in English

Depends on the type of the books in question. If we speak of artistic literature (which, I suppose, is the case), then my answer is "never". English is my working language. I read that much in English doing my day-to-day work that it would just drive me crazy if I had to read some fiction in this language too.

Btw, I serously doubt that anyone not living or being otherwise immersed in an English-speaking environment (ideally since being a child) is capable of appreciating and grasping an artistic English text to the full extent. Except for professional translators perhaps ;-)
–––
Чем глупее человек – тем нетерпимее ратует он за допустимость единственной нормы (c) М.Веллер

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 30 июня 2011 г. 18:09  

цитата Alter Ego

w, I serously doubt that anyone not living or being otherwise immersed in an English-speaking environment (ideally since being a child) is capable of appreciating and grasping an artistic English text to the full extent.

Right you are! ARTISTIC literature is a great problem, indeed. Fiction is much simpler. :-)))
–––
В воротах цирка застрял танк. Толпа подожгла бассейн. Львица оказалась кабаном.

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 30 июня 2011 г. 18:15  

цитата Alter Ego

capable of appreciating and grasping an artistic English text to the full extent

But it's great thing trying to!

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 1 июля 2011 г. 02:33  

цитата mischmisch

ARTISTIC literature is a great problem, indeed.
:beer: luckily I must have missed that one! :-)))
–––

гранд-мастер

Ссылка на сообщение 4 июля 2011 г. 09:41  
Sometimes.
–––
Fide, gravitate, constantia

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 26 июля 2011 г. 19:36  
I've set a tick into first square for I love american/english SciFi. Though russian writers I read in Russian, of course.
–––
Can you ride the horses of the heart
by some sacrificial art or the keenness of your wits? No. See the blood on the bits.

гранд-мастер

Ссылка на сообщение 27 июля 2011 г. 15:07  
Not very often, but more or less periodically. And only in digital, since real books in English are usually way too expensive.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 3 августа 2011 г. 20:05  
Only the books which not translated yet. Finally managed to read D. Lodge'd "Thinks..", though it was not so easy! :-D

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 7 августа 2011 г. 11:42  
I like my eyes, so i prefer to read some books only in english. For example, Warhammer 40K novels, codexes and short-stories. And i agree with the previous speaker, i had to read last part of the First Law in English c:
–––
Hmm, so heresy

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 15 августа 2011 г. 17:18  

цитата Alter Ego

I serously doubt that anyone not living or being otherwise immersed in an English-speaking environment (ideally since being a child) is capable of appreciating and grasping an artistic English text to the full extent.

The keywords here are the full extent. Though if you are not a perfectionist, enjoy it to the partial extent. I did so when I was reading Shakespeare's Sonets. I doubt I could understand every author's nuance however I bet I understood more than if I had read only Marshak's translations.
–––
Умей восхищаться нелюбимым

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 19 августа 2011 г. 22:48  
Hello everyone!

цитата HOOSH

The keywords here are the full extent. Though if you are not a perfectionist, enjoy it to the partial extent. I did so when I was reading Shakespeare's Sonets. I doubt I could understand every author's nuance however I bet I understood more than if I had read only Marshak's translations.

I absolutely agree with that. The books, even the movies I prefer in original english. Kind of a dumb translations some times brings nothing just the personal vision of the translator. But there is no clue if I can't get it in english. Time ago I tried to read a few translations of the russian authors to english. That was lot of fun really.:-)))
------
In any case very nice try about the english part of the forum. But still as I can understand all the posts are from the native russians.:-)

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 8 сентября 2011 г. 00:09  
I can read books on english but i prefer to read books on russian. If it`s a kind of worthfool book, for sure.
(a few days ago i found that i`d read a short story on spanish: with a dictionary but it`s pretty cool too)8-)).

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 8 сентября 2011 г. 00:10  
But movie i prefer to watch on an original language with subs. Dub isn`t rather good often.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 8 сентября 2011 г. 01:52  

цитата kim the alien

Dub isn`t rather good often.
Dub is pretty horrible more often than not :-)))
–––
Страницы: 1234...678    🔍 поиск

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «How often do you read books in English»

Новое сообщение по теме «How often do you read books in English»
Инструменты   

Внимание! Чтобы общаться на форуме, Вам нужно пройти авторизацию:

Авторизация

логин:
пароль:
регистрация | забыли пароль?

⇑ Наверх