What are you reading now

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «What are you reading now?»

What are you reading now?

автор  сообщение

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 20 марта 2012 г. 18:43  
"Dandelion Wine", Bradbury

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 24 марта 2012 г. 20:57  
The Yotsuya Kwaidan or O'Iwa Inari by James S. De Benneville

Started today. But this foreword! OMG, it's sooo big.. Sometimes I think that being such a pain in the neck is no good for me.. ~_~

гранд-мастер

Ссылка на сообщение 27 апреля 2012 г. 02:50  
I've just finished D.Preston "Impact". Linguistically interesting (grammar in particular), scientifically questionable. 8-) Nice to read.

Now it's "The Einstein Girl" by Singleton. Promises to be really great judging from the first three chapters.
–––
"Imagination is more important than knowlege." Albert Einstein

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 26 июля 2012 г. 17:17  
Ben Aaronovitch, "Whispers Underground" — very good London urban fantasy, third in the series; just finished Charles Stross, "The Apocalypse Codex", latest installment in his Laundry series; Hilary Mantel "Bring Up The Bodies" — sequel to "Wolfhall". And yes, I do read a number of books more or less simultaneously, and no, I have no problems keeping up with the plots. :-)

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 26 июля 2012 г. 17:54  
Speaking of Aaronovitch — what`s your opinion? Is the series worth reading?

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 28 июля 2012 г. 16:36  
Das Parfum
–––
It's a Barnum and Bailey world,
Just as phony as it can be, But it wouldn't be make-believe If you believed in me.

миротворец

Ссылка на сообщение 30 июля 2012 г. 21:37  
R. Scott Bakker The Judging Eye. First books were very unordinary. It was attempt to describe absolutelly non-human characheter, like Nietzsche's Übermensch

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 30 июля 2012 г. 23:41  
Beside other lively things, Samuel Pepys, The Diary. And a surprisingly good space opera Origins by Randolph Lalonde — huge, endearingly naive in many ways, but a total success. Already bought two sequels (and strongly suspect will end up buying all the available ones).
–––
Eramos pocos y parió la abuela

миротворец

Ссылка на сообщение 30 июля 2012 г. 23:50  
Aryan why you do not take part in work of this column?

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 31 июля 2012 г. 00:05  

цитата trout

Speaking of Aaronovitch — what`s your opinion?

It's a fabulous summer read. Modern urban fantasy, edgy and funny. I'm a Londoner, for me Aaronovitch's London is very recognizable. Critics compare the series with (a) Harry Potter grown up or (b) Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. NOT TRUE on both counts!!! Again, my opinion entirely, but if you're looking for an enjoyable book in urban fantasy/horror genre there's nothing better today than Aaronovitch, Stross (the Laundry series) and Mike Carey. Mind you, they are all very different, although all are (loosely) London-based.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 31 июля 2012 г. 00:14  
suhan_ilich I guess, because I am just lazy? :-))) I'm not sure they need me — you guys seem to be doing fabulously without my modest contribution.
–––

миротворец

Ссылка на сообщение 31 июля 2012 г. 00:46  
Aryan I am sure that every new participant makes it more interesting and attrative :-)

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 3 августа 2012 г. 19:10  
Althea thank you for the answer!

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 26 ноября 2012 г. 02:51  
Literally gulped down Kevin Hearne's smallish novella Two Ravens and a Crow. Light, amusing, very fast moving and has some funny "table" moments. Formed a distinctive impression that Hearne likes Anthony Hopkins for Odin :-))) At least the description of the One-Eyed was suspiciously close to the Odin in the Thor movie.
–––

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 26 ноября 2012 г. 02:58  
Just finished Michael Moorcock's "Sailor on the Seas of Fate" and reading onwards. So far — not too impressed with the Elric saga (though 2nd book was considerably better than the 1st)
–––
- Ты клянешься следовать идеям свободы, равенства и принципам народовластия?
- Да, мой Повелитель!

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 27 ноября 2012 г. 20:00  
Doesn't seem to be the most popular topic here...
As for me, I just finished a novel by Tom Grace (never heard? me neither — till the last Saturday), called "Quantum" (2000): suspense, that is a mix of fighting, of spies, of a bit of hard sci-fi, of cryptography, and of thriller. Nothing really fancy there in this very novel — same old, same old.
Namely, an old scientific secret of the 1940s, the fruit of an obscure genius quantum physicist. Fast forward to today, and we've got a new discovery which promises tons of money, as well as essentially free energy from electrified vacuum. An evil New Russian bullionaire wants to acquire this whole new technology for himself, and he can be stopped by nothing save for a brave joung ex-SEAL American patriot. This lad calmly and highly efficiently kills Russian mercenaries, one by one, and finally comes to the root of all evil, to Moscow, in the hopes of saving his soon-would-be bride. All the way through the story the dead scientist slowly but surely parts with his secrets in hardly successfull efforts to keep the attention of a fellow reader. The novel ends exactly as you would expect, so I shall not elaborate here. I'll say just this: what a relief to learn that we Russians are not all evil, and that we could also be blessed by some bright minds like the one of Dr. Lara Avvacum! 8-)
All in all, it's not so much of a suspense, though. Not that I expected some revelation from this one... I'd say, 6+ for a decent read. The "+" sign thanks the author for his notable efforts of teaching us some quantum physics. 8:-0

P.S. I'd gladly changed this book for something, and I don't talk money. Is there anyone from Novosibirsk willing to discuss the interchange?

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 2 декабря 2012 г. 02:40  

цитата Trend

Is there anyone from Novosibirsk willing to discuss the interchange?

Just drop it into a trash can :-)))

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 27 декабря 2012 г. 18:40  
Into a trash can? No, thanks.>:-| I'd better give it over to charity! 8:-0
I've just read another action novel, "The Arctic Event" by James Cobb (Robert Ludlum's Covert One line of novels). Well... The quality of the writing was obvious from the very first paragraphs. The plot is nice and thoughtful, the scenery is well-chosen and... how should I say? cool! 8-) The action is swift and powerful. :box: I am not particularly fond of author's ideas on Stalin and Russia, but I wouldn't make much of it anyway: like sun rising in the East, Stalin for Americans is just natural incarnation of evil... so has he been for generations, and why would any author risk an audience to state something different?
If you like warfare books, and if you like Arctic scenes — this is a must read, my friend. 9 out of 10, easily! Looking forward to reading other books in this serie.

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 21 февраля 2013 г. 00:16  
I'm reading "Casual Vacancy" by J.K. Rowling and it's really good. It's a tough book, anyway and I don't think it's appropiate for childrens but for teenagers in their late sixteens it's good

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 24 июля 2013 г. 22:39  
I'm reading (rereading, to say more exactly) 'the Lord of the Rings' in the English language. There are many old words and that is truly interesting. The best translation of 'the Lord of the Rings' is the original. :-D
Страницы: 12345678    🔍 поиск

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «What are you reading now?»

Новое сообщение по теме «What are you reading now?»
Инструменты   

Внимание! Чтобы общаться на форуме, Вам нужно пройти авторизацию:

Авторизация

логин:
пароль:
регистрация | забыли пароль?

⇑ Наверх