Your favorite quotes in ...

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «Your favorite quotes in English»

Your favorite quotes in English

автор  сообщение

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 8 января 2013 г. 17:01  
"...darling, I do think you should call this year's bra manufacturers for consultation in your Anti-Gravity Research Divistion. They achieve the most baffling effects..."

:-)))

Theodor Sturgeon "Never Underestimate"
–––
Eramos pocos y parió la abuela

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 11 января 2013 г. 01:04  
"Did you ever want to set someone's head on fire, just to see what it looked like? Did you ever stand in the street and think to yourself, I could make that nun go blind just by giving her a kiss? Did you ever lay out plans for stitching babies and stray cats into a Perfect New Human? Did you ever stand naked surrounded by people who want your gleaming sperm, squirting frankincense, soma and testosterone from every pore? If so, then you're the bastard who stole my drugs Friday night. And I'll find you. Oh, yes."

Warren Ellis "Transmetropolitan"
–––
Ogham the blood, ogham the line
Our cult of the fallen will triumph over time

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 25 января 2013 г. 07:47  
"I am so over Sookie and her precious fairy vagina"
True Blood

"Barry the Baptist: Fucking northern monkeys!
Lenny: I hate these fucking southern fairies! "
Lock, Stock

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 26 января 2013 г. 03:15  
"Would somebody please, show this poor asshole the way out of town?"

Rebe Avram
"The Frisco Kid"
–––

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 19 февраля 2013 г. 03:06  
"I have experienced a sense of worship — lying under the stars in the Yukatan Channel — watching a rainbow by moonlight — watching a certain sunset in the Gulf of Mexico — in many diverse places, but never in a church, and I have seen some beauties.

I think that no one can achieve a stature of a man unless he has been unjustly hurt.

I think that the only important things are basic things; that basic things are always simple things; and that therefore complicated things may be exiting, or frightening, or instructive; but if they're complex, by definition they are not important.

I believe in marriage, and see it as a sharing of everything capable of being shared, the stature of the marriage depending upon the number of things shared. But I also believe that where sharing is not possible, privacy is imperative.

I believe that the most constuctive force in human thought is laughter with, and the most destructive one is laughter at.

And I most sincerely believe that I am a member of humanity; that humanity's mistakes and stupidities are mine and have their weight on my conscience, and that by the same token humanity's achievements are mine; that therefore I deserve the privileges and am bound by the duties of this extraordinary species."

Theodore Sturgeon, from "Men Behind Fantastic Adventures"
–––

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 3 марта 2013 г. 23:31  
–––

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 29 марта 2013 г. 20:36  
–––

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 31 марта 2013 г. 21:01  
To be, or not to be, that is the question. :-)))
–––
Sine ira et studio

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 2 мая 2013 г. 18:53  
"The world, someone once said, gives back what is given. In abundance. But then, as Kallor would point out, someone was always saying something. Until he got fed up and had them executed."
Steven Erickson "Toll the Hounds"
–––

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 4 мая 2013 г. 21:36  
"The best fantasy is written in the language of dreams. It is alive as dreams are alive, more real than real... for a moment at least... that long magic moment before we wake. Fantasy is silver and scarlet, indigo and azure, obsidian veined with gold and lapis lazuli. Reality is plywood and plastic, done up in mud brown and olive drab. Fantasy tastes of habaneros and honey, cinnamon and cloves, rare red meat and wines as sweet as summer. Reality is beans and tofu, and ashes at the end. Reality is the strip malls of Burbank, the smoke-stacks of Cleveland, a parking garage in Newark. Fantasy is the towers of Minas Tirith, the ancient stones of Gormenghast, the halls of Camelot. Fantasy flies on the wings of Icarus, reality on Southwest airlines. Why do our dreams become so much smaller when they finally come true?
We read fantasy to find the colors again, I think. To taste strong spices and hear the song the sirens sang. There is something old and true in fantasy that speaks to something deep within us, to the child who dreamt that one day he would hunt the forests of the night, and feast beneath the hollow hills, and find a love to last forever, somewhere south of Oz and north of Shangri-La.
They can keep their heaven. When I die, I'd sooner go to Middle Earth."

(с) George Martin

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 9 мая 2013 г. 17:27  
–––

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 10 мая 2013 г. 01:59  
"'You spoke of a wolf god,' Skintick said. 'You began to tell us a story.'
'So I did. But you must be made to understand. It is a question of essences. To see a wolf and know it as pure, one must possess an image in oneself of a pure wolf, a perfect wolf.'
'Ridiculous,' Kallor grunted. 'See a strange beast and someone tells you it is a wolf — and from this one memory, and perhaps a few more to follow, you have fashioned your image of a wolf. In my empires, philosophers spewed such rubbish for centuries, until, of course, I grew tired of them and had them tortured and executed.'"
Steven Erikson "Toll the Hounds"
–––

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 11 мая 2013 г. 02:31  
"I thought you didn't believe in anything," I called after her as she climbed into the Roller he sent to collect her.
"I believe in hundred quid blowjobs and mink sheets," she called back, one hand playing with a strand of her Bride of Frankenstein hairdo. "And a gold vibrator. I believe in that."
Neil Gaiman "Looking for the Girl"
–––
Many critics, no defenders, translators have but two regrets: when we hit, no one remembers, when we miss, no one forgets.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 15 мая 2013 г. 15:23  
"Yesterday is a history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift" (c)

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 17 мая 2013 г. 03:05  
"If we are to live,' Rake went on, 'we must take risks. Else our lives become deaths in all but name.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived."
Steven Erikson "Toll the Hounds"
–––

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 20 мая 2013 г. 14:29  
–––

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 1 июля 2013 г. 02:10  
On barricades :-)))

"One must say that the superiority of French product clearly became apparent to all. Foreign members of the international jury, along with engineers, military officers, journalists, and the public, were all unanimous in their opinion. Our barricades will always stand out by their practical qualities and also by their sheer elegance, that typically French touch. Light, solid, easy and quick to take down, convenient and offering the most protection for the users — such was the consensus about our barricades."

Albert Robida "The Twentieth Century"
–––

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 4 июля 2013 г. 19:03  
–––

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 11 июля 2013 г. 20:50  
‘What’s so frightening about facing your own mistakes?’
‘Dear wife, you should not ask that question.’
‘Why not?’
He met her eyes again, not with anger this time, but bleak despair. ‘You may find that mistakes are all you have.’
Steven Erikson "Dust of Dreams"
–––

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июля 2013 г. 22:19  
My flesh is stone. My blood rages hot as molten iron. I have a thousand eyes. A thousand swords. And one mind.
I have heard the death-cry. Was she kin? She said as much, when first she touched me. We were upon the ground. Far from each other, and yet of a kind.
I heard her die.
And so I came to mourn her, I came to find her body, her silent tomb.
But she dies still. I do not understand. She dies still—and there are strangers. Cruel strangers. I knew them once. I know them now. I know, too, that they will not yield.
Who am I?
What am I?
But I know the answers to these questions. I believe, at last, that I do.
Strangers, you bring pain. You bring suffering. You bring to so many dreams the dust of death.
But, strangers, I am Icarium.
And I bring far worse.

Steven Erikson "Dust of Dreams"
–––
Страницы: 1234567    🔍 поиск

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «Your favorite quotes in English»

Новое сообщение по теме «Your favorite quotes in English»
Инструменты   

Внимание! Чтобы общаться на форуме, Вам нужно пройти авторизацию:

Авторизация

логин:
пароль:
регистрация | забыли пароль?

⇑ Наверх